Sunday, March 17, 2013

Carrick Old Boys Cider

My friend Ruth and myself went to this cider event in Toronto being held at Tequila Bookworm.  Put on by @CiderToronto, it was showcasing 12 different Ontario ciders. My mission was to try something that wasn't available at the LCBO.  After browsing the list, Ruth and I decided to split a bottle of Carrick Old Boys Cider.  I wish I had remembered to take a picture, but by the time I remembered it was mostly consumed.

Carrick Wines:  Located in Carrick Township, in Bruce County, Carrick Wines produces cider and other goods using local produce.  They have a really neat website.  They offer tours and you can place an order on line.  A minimum of 3 bottles is required.  Of course there is a delivery charge.  Their website is www.carrickwines.ca  Their twitter handle is @Carrick_Wines

The Scoop:  The alcohol content is 6.3% per 750ml bottle.  To quote the information found on the list provided "Old Boys Cider is a slight off dry still cider, produced in the traditional way, using a high quality apple blend."

The Pour:  What I liked was that there was low carbonation. 

Aroma:  No matter how hard we tried, we could not get a distinct smell of apples. 

The Taste:  This cider produced a great conversation between the two of us.  We both agreed it had a light, dry, crisp and clean tart taste.  Obviously it was made from apples but it wasn't in your face. 

Synopsis:  I had noted that I really enjoyed it but, wasn't the type of cider I would crack open after work or on a hot summers day.  What we did decide is that this would be an excellent choice to have in place of wine when serving a meal.  Though it is sweeter than most wines, it is mellow and sophisticated enough to please your guests.  Why not bring a bottle instead of wine at your next dinner engagement!  This is the type of cider, I would have a special occasions, but not for everyday consumption.  Overall it was a great cider and we enjoyed it!!

Rating:  Ruth gave it an 8 out of 10.  Me:  7.8 out of 10

On another note, it was a pleasure meeting @OnCraftCider and @Pommiesdry.  Thanks to @tequilabookworm for hosting this great event.  We need more businesses in Ontario to start supporting our local cider makers. 

Cheers!

Laurie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet